Thursday, July 10, 2008

ambivalence

Here’s an excerpt from It’s Called a Break up Because It’s Broken by Greg Behrendt & Amiira Rotoula-Behrendt (www.itscalledabreakup.com). I took pains typing this… so I hope you read this. Because really, it’s…

Dear Greg,

I was going out with this guy for about four months. Everything about him is amazing—we have so much in common. He’s really sweet to my dogs and even will stop by to let them out if I have to work late. I can tell he’ll make a great father someday, and I definitely thought we were headed in that direction. UNTIL one night when I surprised him by showing up at his place with Chinese takeout and found him at home with his GIRLFRIEND! I thought I was his girlfriend! So he explained that he’s really in love with me but they’d been together for so long that he felt like he just couldn’t dump her. He promised that he would take care of it and asked me to image that if the shoe were on the other foot, wouldn’t I want him to let me down gently out of respect for what we’d had together? I agreed but told him that I didn’t want to see him until he’d done the deed. So a month has gone by and he still hasn’t been able to break up with her because he’s just too nice a guy and can’t do it. When will his girlfriend realize that he doesn’t want to be with her and get the hint?

Dear Delusional,

Normally, I would say, “Move on.” But this guy is obviously a great catch because he’s sweet to your dogs. In every other way, he’s a total dick. It’s so hard to find a man who is nice to dogs, so hang in there. Or you could WAKE UP! it sounds like his girlfriend isn’t the one who needs to get the hint. She’s the one with a boyfriend. The only thing you should be doing is taking yourself out of this “nice guy’s” lady buffet. You’re more than a side dish and deserve to be treated as the delicious main course that you are. Don’t get me wrong, dog lovers are great, but a guy with a spine and some values is even better. Nice is in actions, not words. And when you take a long, realistic look at your situation, or even just reread your letter to me, you’ll realize that you’re giving an okay guy cheats on his girlfriend a hell of a lot more credit than he deserves. He’s a coward and a betrayer of not one but two women, and he clearly feels ambivalent about you at best—otherwise, he would have left this other woman a long time ago.

RIGHT FUCKING ON.

and now for the obvious…

NP: bleeding love : leona lewis
“My heart's crippled by the vein
That I keep on closing
You cut me open and I
Keep bleeding
Keep, keep bleeding love
You cut me open
And it's draining all of me
Oh they find it hard to believe
I'll be wearing these scars
For everyone to see”

No comments: