Saturday, November 22, 2008

you are timeless to me...

Calle Crisologo at night
I’ve been here for only a day, but it oddly feels like my second day in Vigan. Next time, when I plan a trip like this, the first consideration will be my health. I bounded that bus with a fever and a bad headache. My second consideration will be if I have enough time to plan the freaking trip. Ha. After checking in at the hotel, I quickly changed into my PJs and slept amongst all my 6 fluffy pillows. Amazing. I think I slept for like 6 hours. I decided not to set up an alarm because I knew I needed to sleep. My temperature was not at a healthy level and my body was aching all over. So I slept until about noon. The hotel was kind enough to still let me have my free breakfast even though it was almost lunch time.

I was about to get ready to hit the streets when I realized that I forgot to bring my memory card. Well, nice one, ivy. Not only are you traveling alone in strange place where people think you are crazy enough to travel alone, but you managed to forget your freaking memory card of all things. And my brother's camera doesn't have an internal memory thing... so there. So far, everything about this trip has been fine and freaking dandy. (You do realize that I was being sarcastic). So, without taking a bath, I hit the streets and hoped and prayed that I’ll manage to find a memory card. and oh my god. I did.

I don't know why, but the people here seem to be so amused that someone is traveling alone. It’s crazy. I don't look foreign, so I might as well be a local walking the streets on her own. What’s so amusing about that? I think Pinoys are generally not ready for people who travel alone.

So... I didn't buy the SD card yet because I wasn't sure if it's compatible with my brother’s camera. I went to a salon, hoping to get a treatment for my poor, battered and stressed out hair and get a pedicure. I did get my pedicure but decided against the hair treatment which was 3x more expensive here than in Manila.

I went back to the hotel and slept. Again. It wasn’t a choice, really. I felt that if I didn’t rest, I’ll pass out. And I can’t pass out on the streets of Vigan, alone. I don’t have smelling salts. Ha. Anyway, this time I set my alarm for 2:30pm. 2:30 became 3:30 and 3:30 became 5:30.

I took my time preparing to go out and prayed for hot water. Lo and behold, it works. I bought a bag I can actually use (unlike my pretty purple bag) and bought the SD card, which thank God, works. Since I was now ready to explore and take pictures, I walked further and unknowingly reached Salcedo and Burgos parks and St Paul’s Cathedral.

St Paul's Cathedral

If there were a McDonald's in the 1500's

That’s where I met E. He seemed nice enough and after talking for a few minutes, he asked for my number and offered to show me around Vigan the next morning. I gave him my number but I don't know how willing I was to see Vigan with him.

With the help of my handy map, I found my way to Calle Crisologo. I took pictures and bought some souvenirs. This was weird because I don’t know who I’m buying the souvenirs for. I would love to buy some furniture and décor here for my apartment, though. I think I need to buy luggage here. It would be hard to drag all my stuff to Pagudpud then back to Manila.

Souvenir shopping along Calle Crisologo


I love this town. I am having a blast. I can live here and stay stuck in the 1500s forever. It’s amazing.

I keep getting messages from my friends back home and from E. I turned my phone off. They are all amazing and they just wanted to be sure I’m safe, but I kinda wanted this time alone for me.

Next year, I think I’ll take a Superferry somewhere. Get a really great cabin and some time for me.

NP: trouble:ray lamontagne
"Trouble
Feels like every time I get back on my feet

She come around and knock me down again
Worry

Sometimes I swear it feels like this worry is my only friend
Well I've been saved by a woman..."

No comments: