Wednesday, September 13, 2006

sunrays, angels and wednesdays

with alice in chains playing in the background, my backdoor ajar, letting just enough sunlight into my apartment, and old pictures scattered on the floor, i sat on the floor and sorted out the pictures, sometimes stopping to laugh or smile at the memories. see, on a long enough time, no matter how hurting the events may have been, the pain leaves, and you just smile when you remember.

the night before, X sent me mp3’s of alice in chain’s "jar of flies". i listened to the album on my way home and was just mesmerized by layne staley’s voice. it was so vulnerable and crushing. too frank and honest, blatant and unguarded... raw and beautiful. in his voice i felt all the confused emotions i've become too numb to feel.

my favorite part is during don’t follow… when he sang the line "take me home", there was something in the "oh " in home that made me want to reach out to him. it felt like it was vital for him to be home, that he’s just a fragment away from shattering and he’s crying out for help.

i don’t care what people say about the life he’s had, or that he overdosed and was only found after his neighbors deemed the stench of his decaying body unbearable.

i believe he is home now.

only tormented angels can sing like that.

No comments: